London- The world’s culture capital and the most visited city in the world!!
I have spent two years in this culturally diverse country and truly loved the experience. Here are my five favorite things about the city.
– ITS SUMMERS– they are the most beautiful in the world I’d say. The blooming flowers, the freshness in the air, the lush green gardens, the fairs around the parks, the wines pouring outside the pubs, the cricket and football games at their highs!! It is lovely to be in this city during the summers, you just have to be there to experience what I am saying. It is truly beautiful.
– RED BUSES AND RED PHONE BOOTHS– these are the principle icons of the city. You will always find some random person getting a picture clicked in one of those red-boxed phone booths. These small things have become such an integral part of this city worldwide, and it’s the simplicity of these small things that on the other hand make London so very grand.
– WESTMINSTER ABBEY– this is one of the most religious buildings of the country and one of the most important place for the British royalty. One look at the building and you’ll feel lost in the architectural brilliance of it and will realize the magnanimity of the British architecture; the purity is out of this world.
– HYDE PARK– this luscious green park covers almost 350 acres. I’ve loved all the picnics we had there time and again. The ducks and swans in the Serpentine Lake. The boating, the walks, the eateries, it’s a different world altogether inside the heart of the busy city. Love it!!
– THAMES WALK– it is the national trail footpath running almost 180 miles along the banks of river Thames. This path was truly the biggest part of the time that I spent in the city. The tranquility of the walks on it is unmatchable (for me so far). The walk helped me so much in getting my sanity back in this fast city. Also, the Thames is such a busy river that even if you don’t feel like walking, there is so much to watch around with the ferries and boats shipping across.
Well, the plan was to stop at the point number 5. But I want to write a cheat point just for the sake of its importance in my life 😉 , so here it is!!
– Shopping at Regent and Oxford Streets– Nothing beats the kicks of shopping on these streets. The styles, the aura, the buzz, the chilly wind in your face (during winters) add to the whole experience of shopping at this place. No shopping malls, no shopping arcades can match the feel and the fun of spending your time in the shops here. I truly miss it!!
That’s it from me this time. Don’t forget to share your favorite things about London with me. Also, the sketch above is courtesy my darling Aradhna Kapoor (please watch this space “My favorite places” for more of her work).
– P.S. My baby spent her first 2 years in this city, so it will always have a super special place in my heart.